Sevilla travel guide

SEVILLA TRAVEL

YOUR TRAVEL GUIDE TO SEVILLA
Sevilla Travel Guide

The Church of the O

This church was built by the Brotherhood of the same name between 1697 and 1702. It occupied the place where the hospital of “Santa Justa y Rufina” and “Santa Brigida” were. It was designed by the brothers Felix and Pedro Romero. The traditional Cathedral of Triana and the Parish of Santa Ana were insufficient to satisfy local masses so The Church of the O helped them to administer the sacraments.

It has three naves of the same size, its main door was designed by Antonio Gil Gataón, this door presents a relief of the Gospel, and it has a shield with two angels that hold an “O”. The main access is located in the left nave; the right nave belongs to the Brotherhood of the O. There is a Baroque altarpiece, its central niche has an image of “The Virgin of the O”. This image was painted by Antonio Castillo Lastrucci. The images of “Santa Rufina” and “Santa Brigida” are located in the same altarpiece but in different niches.

The Epistle nave and the Gospel Nave house many paintings with different images of Jesus Christ, The Virgin and some Saints. The title holder Brotherhood is “La Pontificia, Real e Ilustre Hermandad del Santísimo Sacramento y Cofradía de Nazarenos de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno y María Santísima de la O”, and it currently looks after this church.


The Church of the O
The Church of the O
The Church of the O
The Church of the O


About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2018 - All Rights Reserved