Sevilla travel guide

SEVILLA TRAVEL

YOUR TRAVEL GUIDE TO SEVILLA
Sevilla Travel Guide

Plaza de la Encarnaci?n

The Incarnation Square (Plaza de la Encarnación) is the result of urban modifications that have taken place since the 16th century. The name comes from the name of the Convent of the Incarnation (currently non-existent) that was situated there in that time.

From the year 1580 the square was called the Square Regina. It covered the north side of the current place, while on the south side the Square of Don Pedro Ponce stood. The main houses of the Dukes of Medinaceli, the Marquis of Ayamonte and one of the branches of the family of Ortiz de Zuniga were located here.

Plaza de la encarnacion - incarnation square In 1587 the city council expanded the place by means of some building demolitions. In the eighteenth century, the fountain was placed there and we can see it nowadays. During the French invasion in the early 19th century, the Convent of the Incarnation was demolished. A covered market of galleries was built in one of the three streets leading from the square. In 1948, expanding the backbone of Campana -Osario was considered and so the southern part of the market was demolished.

The area remained uncovered in the year 1973 and it was used as a parking area and bus depot. Everything changed in 2004 when an international competition of ideas for the rehabilitation of the square took place in Sevilla. The German architect Jrgen Mayer was a winner of the competition with his project called Metropol Parasol, which consisted of a large mushroom- like, six-shaped structure. These 6 mushrooms have become one of the city famous attractions.


About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2018 - All Rights Reserved