Sevilla travel guide


Sevilla Travel Guide

Plaza de la Magdalena (Magdalena Square)

The Magdalena square takes its name from the church that occupied the place around 13th century. However, it has changed its name (Pacific, Cristo del Calvario, General Franco) through history. In 1980 its elder name was given back.

It was established in 1842 by order of Joseph Bonaparte, who ordered to demolish an ancient church standing in this place to make space for the square. After the expulsion of the French, the church was supposed to be rebuilt, but these efforts were stopped and the square was completed in 1844 containing elements of different ages and origins. In the same year, a fountain was sculpted in the centre seating the image of Calliope Muse while its stack top was decorated with masks and the shaft, adorned with aquatic mythological figures. The fountain was framed by decorations on the vertices. Delimiting fences, oranges and magnolias trees were placed at the perimeter.

Plaza de la Magdalena - Magdalena Square In this time, the Plaza de la Magadalena was given its elliptical shape and was decorated with banks. In 1882, the oranges were replaced with palm trees.

Today's plaza is paved by a classical combination of paving tiles, Chinese paving slabs and cement concrete.

About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2005 - 2020 - All Rights Reserved